Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Baked Basque Eggs



The Basque region is an area that borders Southwest France and Northeast Spain. Basque Eggs take on the culinary traditions of both areas. Traditional Basque Eggs include bacon or Serrano ham (Spanish version of Prosciutto) and is often scrambled instead of baked. I opted not to use ham to cut some fat, but if you wanted you could add ham to the bottom of the dish before adding the veggies and eggs.

Serves 2

Baked Basque Eggs:

4 eggs
1 tbsp chopped fresh herbs or freeze dried herb blend (parsley, basil, thyme, rosemary etc. Whatever you've got!)
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 red pepper, diced
1/4 yellow pepper, diced
1/2 small onion, diced
1 Roma tomato, diced
1/2 tbsp melted butter
1/4 cup milk
Salt & Pepper to taste

1. Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees. Lightly oil the inside of 2 individual casserole dishes or ramekins.

2. Add half the diced veggies (peppers, tomatoes and onions), half the garlic and half the herb blend to each dish.

3. Mix together the melted butter and milk. Add half the mixture to each ramekin.

4. Place each ramekin on a baking sheet and place in pre-heated oven for 4-5 minutes.

5. While ramekins are in the oven, crack two eggs into a small dish, careful not to crack the yolks. Remove the ramekins from the oven and gently slide the eggs into the ramekin. Repeat the process with the other two eggs and second ramekin.

6. Sprinkle salt and pepper and more herbs over both ramekins and return to the oven. Bake for another 8-10 minutes. Eggs will be slightly runny. Cover with foil or place the lid on the casseroles and let sit for a couple minutes while you prepare toast or make tea, or whatever it is you do in the morning! If you prefer your yolks firmer, bake for a couple extra minutes.

5 comments:

  1. Did you post this one just for me since I'm rolling in fresh eggs?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. no but i did think of you this morning while i made it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum…..I made these this morning for my French husband and he really liked it. I’ll be making these again, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So easy and so delicious. I have seen baked egg recipes in the past and thought it sounded weird. I don’t know what made me finally be brave and try them. Wow I sure am Happy I did. We’ll be having this for breakfast again and again. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of this recipe! It looks so good, and so healthy! The recipe looks like I can make a single serving easily from it, so I am going to have to try it! Thank you so much for posting it :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails