Sunday, April 18, 2010

Mini Cranberry Egg Salad Pitas



I first made this egg salad recipe years ago and I have loved it ever since. I found it in an old magazine. I've since lost the original recipe but I still remember the basics. I tweeked it slightly to remove the added fat of mayo and a couple other undesirables, but the spirit remains the same. This has always been my absolute favourite Egg Salad.

Serves 2

4 mini pita pockets or 1 large pita, cut in quarters
6 hard boiled eggs, peeled
1 tsp dijon mustard
1 tbsp Greek yogurt
2 tbsp dried cranberries, chopped
2 tbsp pine nuts
1 tsp herb seasoning blend or 1 tbsp chopped fresh herbs (your pick!)
salt & pepper to taste

1. Break apart the hard boiled eggs. Reserve three yolks and discard the other three. Add all the whites and three of the yolks to a bowl.

2. Add the Dijon and yogurt. Using a small masher or fork, mash the egg into smaller pieces while mixing everything together.

3. Add the cranberries, nuts/seeds, herbs, salt and pepper. Mix well. Adjust seasonings to suit your tastes.

4. Cut off the tops of the mini pitas to form a pocket. Spoon egg mixture into the pita until just full.

Variations:
- Try changing it up. Minced red onion, sliced green onion, diced celery, chopped fresh parsley, different nuts... you name it, it will work in this recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails