Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Wonton Soup with Baby Bok Choy & Shirataki Noodles



Now that you've made wontons, it's time to make wonton soup. My version of wonton soup is very easy because I use a powdered wonton soup mix (Lee Kum Kee brand). It's probably not good for me (MSG! ACK!) but it's quicker and easier than boiling chicken and fish bones for a few hours to get the perfect homemade wonton soup broth. To make the broth more "interesting", I add in a few aromatics to spice it up a bit. The results are quite tasty.

I also add Shirataki Noodles to my soup, which are gluten free and made from yam starch. They can be found in the cooler section of your local Asian market or specialty grocery store. My package looked like the one on the bottom in this picture:

But I've also seen these ones at IGA in the Asian foods aisle (not refrigerated).

Read a review of the noodles here and here.

Wonton Soup with Baby Bok Choy & Shirataki Noodles:

Serves 2 (entree) or 4 (appetizer)

Ingredients:

4 1/2 cups water
3 1/2 tbsp wonton soup mix (my mix called for 2 tsp per 1 cup water)
2 cloves garlic, cut in half
1 inch piece ginger, cut in half
2 Thai chilies, left whole
8 pieces of baby bok choy
1 pkg Shirataki Noodles
12 fresh or frozen wontons
1 green onion or chives, sliced thin, for garnish

Directions:

1. Fill stockpot with water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add wonton soup mix and stir well to dissolve. Add garlic, ginger and chilies. Simmer for 5 minutes.

2. Drain and rinse shirataki noodles under cold water. Add to the soup along with wontons and simmer for another 5 minutes.

3. Add baby bok choy. Place lid on pot and leave to simmer for 5 more minutes.

4. Remove chilies, garlic and ginger. Spoon soup into bowls. Garnish with sliced green onions or chives, if you wish!

2 comments:

  1. I have a random story about shiritaki noodles. I had bought some ages ago when I was still in Victoria, and they sat in my fridge for who knows how long. Eventually, they were way past their best before date, so I threw them out. To this day, I have yet to try them out.

    I told you it was random. I like the soup you made though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't find they taste any different than rice noodles. They smell kind of funky though so I always use them in soups or covered in sauce.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails