Friday, August 20, 2010

Surf & Turf Online Cooking Class


Granville Island Market fish stand.

I signed up for an online cooking class. It's called Surf & Turf and is offered by Ann Marie of Cheeseslave.com.

Check the short video below to see what it is all about.



Surf & Turf is a 12 week program that covers the following topics:

The Classes

Lesson #1: Protein & Fat: Why You Need It
Lesson #2: Shopping & Stocking Up
Lesson #3: Grilling: Setting Up an Outdoor Grill
Lesson #4: Seafood: Raw & Lightly Cooked
Lesson #5: Seafood: Broiled, Fried & Braised
Lesson #6: Bone Broth: Making Stock from Scratch
Lesson #7: Soups & Stews
Lesson #8: Roasting, Braising, Reductions Sauces & Gravies
Lesson #9: Pan Frying & Deep Frying
Lesson #10: Sandwiches & Salads: Meat-Based Salads & Grain-free Breads
Lesson #11: Organ Meats 1: Heart, Tongue & Bone Marrow
Lesson #12: Organ Meats 2: Liver Four Ways
Bonus Lesson: Appetizers, Side Dishes & Snacks


I’m not super thrilled about the theory portion of the program. I’m sure it will be interesting and informative, but like everything related to health and nutrition, it has to be taken with an open mind and a grain of salt. What I am looking forward to is the actual cooking lessons. I’d like to learn how to cook fish properly. It will be great to learn how to make stock from bones and I’m even looking forward to the two lessons on organ meats... except the part about tongue!

Jenny, at The Nourished Kitchen wrote a really good re-cap of the first lesson (the dreaded theory lesson). Oddly enough, it’s her review that finally prompted me to sign up!

In the coming weeks I will post re-caps about my lessons and experiences. Check back!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails